Figured I would come back and let you know that the problem has been resolved, and how it was resolved. IDM Support was a big help. Kudos to them!
We tried several things, including a full uninstall along with cleaning out the registry, old INI & CFG files, the AppData folder... After a re-install the issue still existed. Then I noticed that when I hit an Arrow key after scrolling with the mouse wheel and losing the cursor, the mouse pointer would move to the upper left corner of the Edit window that has focus.
IDM Support suggested perhaps another program was stealing focus of the cursor. At first the only thing I could think of was the Logitech software & driver. But then I remembered a little utility that I installed called KatMouse
. KatMouse is a utility that I found that enables "universal" scrolling. Universal scrolling is the ability to use the mouse wheel to scroll the window beneath the mouse pointer even though the window may not have focus.
Imagine you have UE, Excel and Outlook open in a tiled manner (windows stacked but parts of each visible). UE is the top window and the window is the "active" window (in the developer world this is called having focus
). You need to reference something in the Excel window, but don't want to swap windows. You move your mouse pointer so that it is over the Excel window and move the scroll wheel. The Excel spreadsheet that is open moves, not the UE edit window.
Anyways, after some tweaking of KatMouse I was able to fix the issue of my cursor/insertion point from disappearing.