i have my problem figured out now. i would like to thank Bego and the people from ultraedit who always respond very quickly.
this is what i have figured out...
for some reason when i copy the html file through secure shell to a solaris box then copy it back to windows the file becomes corrupt when viewed in a browser. the file doesn't become corrupt when the copying is done from windows to linux.
with much help i found some cures to my problem:
-on solaris or linux:
tr -cd '\11\12\40-\176' < $INPUT_FILE > $OUTPUT_FILE
-on windows with ultraedit 32 (version 11.20b)
i've found two different methods:
1. open file in UE32 before it is secure copied to solaris then click file > conversions > unicode to ascii > save
2. if you have already secure copied the file from solaris back to windows then method 1 will not work, try: open the file with UE32 > edit > hex functions > hex edit > delete binary characters at beginning of file > also, while still in hex edit mode, you need to find/replace all "00" with nothing.