Thank you very much for the help. Your suggestion, by itself, didn't solve the problem, but in working with it, I found that the problem only happened with one particular file. Trying to fix the file, even with hex mode, was unsuccessful. When I finally deleted the file and recreated it, the problem was solved. Fortunately, it was a short file, a navigation block, one of several includes for a webpage, mostly xhtml, but with a php extension.
I'd say the error message likely originated from Windows XP trying to deal with an illegal byte/word value while read/writing the temp file.
I see you've been busy today, trying to help many others in alternate threads. It makes me happy to see that
. I try to help others whenever I do have something to contribute.
I've used UltraEdit for several years, and upgraded myself to UEStudio last November. So far, I love it.
Have a great day!