Just a tip to share and possibly save you some time on installing UEX on one of more popular distros, Mandriva version 2010.0. Of course, you can always try the *generic* tar package. But, I think this simplifies the install process since Mandriva uses .rpm and is just a matter of finding the best match among various RPM packages offered by IDM to avoid install problems.
OS: Mandriva 2010.0 (32-bit)
WM: GNOME 2.28.0
1. make sure that you have access to the Main repository (install DVD, online Main repository)
2. start Software Manager and in the Search bar type: libboost
3. select *libboost5* for installation and *Apply* to install (you may want to reboot after install just in case)
4. download: UEx -> go to the IDM Linux download page and find UltraEdit for Fedora
5. select: Fedora 12 (32-bit) -- (Note: this should work with 64-bit too if you have Mandriva 64 bit installed but I haven't tested it)
6. right-click on the downloaded file and select: *Open With Software Installer* and in the next dialog click on *Install*
7. Done. UEx will be under: Applications -> Development.