I should have mentioned in my original message, I am aware of the multiple clipboard feature and use that. The first thing I checked on UEX/Ultraedit that the issue wasn't having the wrong clipboard selected. I rebooted my system this morning and tried again. My steps this morning were
- Start UEX
- Verify the clipboard is set to System Clipboard in UEX. In fact, to double check I changed to User Clipboard 1 and then back to System Clipboard.
- Copied some text.
- Pasted into another UEX window, no problem.
- Try to paste into UltraEdit/Windows (verifying System Clipboard is selected), nothing
- Try to paste into SecureCRT (my terminal program of choice), nothing
- Return back to UEX, paste works fine.
- Copy text from UltraEdit/Windows (verifying System Clipboard is selected)
- Paste into UEX, worked fine.
- Copy text from SecureCRT paste into UltraEdit/Windows, fine
- Paste that same text into UEX, NOTHING
- Copy the text from UltraEdit/Windows that I pasted in #9, paste into UEX, fine.
- Copying from Chrome. If I copy JUST TEXT, it will paste into UEX.
- If I copy something from Chrome that is more than text, often it won't paste into UEX.
To sum up: I have verified I am only using System Clipboard. Copying text in UEX only seems to allow for pasting in UEX. Copying from elsewhere will, in some cases, paste into UEX but sometimes not. All of the cases where text would NOT paste into UEX, it WILL paste into UEX.
My partial theory: When I paste into UltraEdit/Windows, any "non-text" stuff will be stripped out, so, often I have text with lots of formatting, etc. and I use paste into UltraEdit and re-copy to strip all the formatting down to just characters. I speculate that whatever UltraEdit/Windows is doing to strip out special stuff is tripping up UEX and when UEX sees these special things on the Clipboard, it refuses to paste. As to why when I copy FROM UEX it will never paste anywhere except UEX, I don't have a theory. Perhaps it is putting the data on the clipboard in an odd format that other programs see and assume they cannot handle for pasting.