Version Control Comparison
UltraCompare v6.40 includes major improvements to the command line support that allow greater flexibility when integrating with other applications. If you're using version control in a team development environment, then UltraCompare v6.40 is exactly what you need. UltraCompare v6.40 integrates with your version control software to quickly diff files, resolve conflicts, merge, and more...
While most version control systems provide similar functionality, each version control system has a unique way of building the command line. Some are simple, just sending the two file names, others are more difficult. In order to support all the different systems, UC has been improved to process a wide array of command line parameters.
As a base, we have tested UltraCompare with the following version control systems. Click on the links below to learn how to integrate UltraCompare with the respective version control system:
- AnkhSVN with Visual Studio 2008
- Visual SourceSafe 2005
- Tortoise CVS
- Tortoise SVN
The command line support is the key component to the version control support. While the command line support is very flexible, there are some rules you must observe when building your command line strings:
1. All parameters must be separated by a space.
2. Compare type switches such as -t, -3, -p, -x, -d, and -w must always precede the related compare object (ie: the paths for the files/folders being compared).
GOOD: -t <filename1> <filename2> -b -lt -o <outputfile>
BAD: -t -o -b <filename1> -lt <filename2> <outputfile>
3. Logical units can appear in any order on the command line so long as they are paired with their related parameters:
GOOD: -title1 <titlename1> -title2 <titlename2> -t <filename1> <filename2>
GOOD: -title1 <titlename1> -t <filename1> <filename2> -title2 <titlename2>
GOOD: -t <filename1> <filename2> -title2 <titlename2> -title1 <titlename1>
BAD: -t <filename1> -title2 <titlename2> <filename2> -title1 <titlename1>
The following command line parameters may be used to invoke UltraCompare Professional from the command line. For a full list of the command line parameters, see the UltraCompare Help.
|-3||3-way text mode|
|-a||sets Show All|
|-B||ignore blank lines in text compare mode|
|-b||ignore spaces in text compare mode|
|-d||folder compare mode|
|-dmb||sets Folder Compare type to Basic|
|-dmf||sets Folder Compare type to Full|
|-dms||sets Folder Compare type to Smart|
|-fb||force all files to be compared as binary in folder compare mode|
|-ft||force all files to be compared as text in folder compare mode|
|-horz||sets view to horizontal layout|
|-i||ignore case in text compare mode|
|-lt||ignore line terminators|
|-m||sets Show Matching|
|-ne||sets Show Differences|
|-o||creates output file|
|-op||appends output to specified file|
|-p||fast binary compare mode|
|-prf||runs specified profile|
|-qc||quick difference check performs a byte by byte check until the first difference is detected|
|-r||compare folders recursively in folder compare mode|
|-rio||reset ignore options|
|-rom||read only merge mode|
|-t||text compare mode|
|-title1||sets alias/title name for file/folder in first pane|
|-title2||sets alias/title name for file/folder in second pane|
|-title3||sets alias/title name for file/folder in third pane|
|-vert||sets view to vertical layout|
|-w||3-way folder compare mode|
|-x||smart binary compare mode|
AnkhSVN with Visual Studio 2008 (http://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/)
- Open Visual Studio 2008.
- Select Options from the Tools menu.
- Select Source Control and click on Plug-In Selection.
- Under Plug-In Selection select AnkhSVN.
- Under Subversion User Tools enter the following into the External Diff field:
"C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare\uc.exe" "%base" "%mine%"
Perforce for Windows (http://www.perforce.com/)
- Select Preferences from the Edit menu.
- Go to the Diff tab.
- Under Default Diff Application select Other Application.
- Click the browse button next to the Location box and browse to the UltraCompare install directory. Select uc.exe.
- In the Arguments field, enter:
- Create a batch file named "ucsvndiff.bat" in the UltraCompare install directory (e.g. "C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare").
- Open ucsvndiff.bat for editing..
- Type the following:
"C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare\uc.exe" "%6" "%7" -title1 %3 -title2 %5
- Go to Subversion's configuration area, normally
- or -
(One way to find this folder is to enter %APPDATA% in the address bar and then search for the "Subversion" folder.)
- Change the following lines in the "config" file in the "Subversion" folder:
#diff-cmd=diff_program(diff, gdiff, etc.)
diff-cmd=diff_program(diff, gdiff, etc.)
- Edit the diff-cmd to point to the ucsvndiff.bat file, e.g.:
diff-cmd=C:\Program File\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare\ucsvndiff.bat
- From context menu in Windows Explorer select CVS and then Preferences.
- Select Tools tab.
- For Diff application, browse to UltraCompare install directory and select uc.exe.
- For Two-way diff parameters enter the following:
Please note: A space must be inserted between the specified values.
- From context menu in Windows Explorer select TortoiseSVN and then Settings.
- Go to Diff Viewer under External Programs.
- Under "Configure the program used for comparing different revisions of files" select External.
- Click browse button and browse to UltraCompare install directory. Select uc.exe and press OK.
- Add the following string to the end of the uc.exe path:
%base %mine -title1 %bname -title2 %yname
- The constructed string should now look like this:
C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare\uc.exe %base %mine -title1 %bname -title2 %yname
- Press Apply button.
Visual SourceSafe 2005 (installed from Visual Studio DVD)
- Select Options from Tools menu.
- Select Custom Editors tab.
- Select File Difference under Operation:.
- In the File Extension field, enter: ".*"
- In the Command Line field, enter: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare\uc.exe %1 %2
- Press Add button.